BMW 750 iAL, 1989
(Tämä sivu myös suomeksi.)
I drove a while with Seat
and as I drove more than thousand kilometers in a week soon after christmas 2001,
I was quit fed up with that. Seat really isn't a touring car, as you might guess. ;)
I had been looking for comfortable and large touring car or limousine
and eventually I had eliminated all but Jaguar XJ6 or BMW 7-series.
Mercedes' are too expensive here and usually they have been driven a lot,
400 000 km's isn't uncommon.
BMW was the solution as I found that a friend of mine was selling his and
he promised to sell spare parts from his spare parts car if I needed some.
As you might know, BMW's spare parts are expensive, especially so for
Some pictures are out of focus as my old camera was obviously getting old and
autofocus isn't always working and it doesn't have manual focus.
New pictures, from summer 2022, at the end of the others, here.
Picture shows very clearly difference between old and new lights,
fog lights are old and the others new.
I just had to take some pictures, even if
the weather was just above freezing and car dirty.
This car has removable tow hook, which hides under the small
hatch(?) below rear bumper (better seen in bigger picture).
I've been told that that's very uncommon factory option.
Back seat has enough leg room, as this is L-model, about 5" longer than standard
model and all of that space is in the front of the back seat.
Dark red stripe is a part of the camera, nothing special. ;)
There's not much space under the hood, as the engine is at least a number
too big for this chassis.
Pictures from April 2002:
Shine is quite good for an 13-year-old car. :)
Auto-Glym's reputation isn't all hype.
New pictures, July 2011.
Rust is taking its toll and years are showing, but otherwise still a nice touring car. Odometer has almost 400 000 now and that shows.
Paint isn't in top shape anymore but you still can see some kind of reflection of the photographer.
New pics, August 2022.
These cars have an option list about mile long, on top of standard features.
Mine has following options ( found on a assembly line document in glove box):
- 073 Cold weather package (not sure about this)
- 096 First-aid kit
- 199 Without catalysator
- 209 Limited slip differential (25% lock)
- 288 Cross spoke alloys ( 225/60R15 )
- 339 Shadow-line (Black trim instead of chrome)
- 488 Lower back support in driver's seat (lumbar support)
- 536 Gasoline heater (Webasto)
- 687 Radio pre-wiring (Dealer installed radio)
- 820 Brazilian export (Really weird, considering other options)
- 850 Additional gasoline tank (larger one, stock on L-versions)
- 860 Side marker turning lights
Repairs done and to-do:
- New lights and studded winter tires changed, March 2002. Tyres thrown away as broken at 03/2014.
- OBC complains about parking lights, mustard relay resoldered 12th of February, 2002, fixed.
- Left rear brake stucks, quick fix done at 12th of February, 2002, helped a while but not long,
disassembled and cleaned 5th of March, 2002, ok since then.
- Heater gives heat just to the feet and windshield, due the broken
adjustment motor mounts. Temporary fix by copper wire at 2nd of February, 2003.
- Minor oil leak in smaller oil pan. Seal changed 12th of June, 2002 ,
didn't leak for a while but now it leaks again. Argh! Oil pan nuts torqued to specification (12Nm) at 2nd of February, 2003, not much help. Seal changed in 09/2010
but now upper pan leaks. Upper pan seal replaced 03/2014.
- Small scratches and/or chips here and there
- Rear subframe bushings worn out. Replaced in 2008.
- Auxiliary fan stuck completely. Fixed 24th of July, 2002, had to disassemble
motor and re-glue magnets to motor chassis. One magnet in 7 pieces, had to glue
that to one piece first, some parts of it were ground to powder by anchor and
thus lost, maybe 15% of that magnet.
- Power steering hose changed to original part 12th of June, 2002, p/s
pump whining disappeared.
- Air conditioning fixed and converted to 134a, dryer changed, 28th of July, 2002. Seems to work at summer, 2003. Refilled in 2009, still operates in 2011.
- Lumbar support motor stuck. Fixed with small hammer (!) 16th of April, 2003. Stuck again in 2010.
- Webasto (gasoline heater) isn't working at all now (2009) and it's a wiring fault: Fuel pump wires broken, confirmed in 2009, not yet replaced.
- OBC button lights gone. Replaced bulbs at 10th of October, 2002.
- Quite lot of free play in steering, in the gearbox. Checked at 10th of October, 2002. Central part of steering arms replaced in 08/2009, most play disappeared.
- Almost all wood trim panels have cracked laquer, observerd somewhere in summer 2002.
- Light jerking in idle, probably vacuum leak or shot fuel pressure regulator. Vacuum leak and plug wires: Hoses & wires replaced in 08/2010. Also valve cover seals and most of lifters and rockers.
- Front disks are almost finished. Changed in 16th of April, 2003 with new pads. Again in 09/2010.
- Some wheel bearings noisy. Other front wheel bearing swapped at 04/2013, other OK so nothing done. Left rear wheel loose in inspection 02/2013.
- Driveshaft should be balanced, slight shudder in certain speeds. Replaced in 2008.
- Power steering loses fluid, no leak found yet. Leak found 21th of May, 2003, when one LAD-hose failed totally and left me stranded at 200 miles from home. All LAD-related hoses& pipes and bombs at rear replaced.
- Auxiliary water pump makes weird noises, disassembled and put back in 08/2010.
- Rust attacks, I have to something about it, 2011 latest. Something done 07/2011 as pics show, but more is to do. Update: Even worse in 04/2014.
- Rear window heater won't heat, probably blown fuse (12/2010). Fuse and relay checked 2011 and again 2012, no change.
- Driver side fog light lets water in, blew bulb. Removed, cleaned, glued the hole in front glass and put new bulb 07/2011. Replaced the reflector 02/2014.
- Right side mirror is not heating.
- Windshield wiper arm preload motor is not always working.
- Front shocks replaced (06/2012)
- Front brake pads replaced(06/2012)
- Driving light washer pump removed and fixed(06/2012)
- Middle tie rod replaced (10/2012)
- Front upper arms replaced (12/2012)
- Driver side parking light finally fixed with new bulb holder (1/2013).
- Windshield cracked somewhere in summer 2012. Replaced 02/2014.
- Right rear headrest rises to top at start. Probably broken control box (6/2012). Fault found: seat belt switch stuck.
- Summer rims found oval, now round again (1/2013, by Amrif)
- Winter rims ground and painted to grey. Silver paint is still missing. (3/2013) Change: Sand blasting and paint 04/2014. Ready in autumn 2015.
- Brake hose attachments rebuilt under driver side seat 11/2013.
- Front axle lower arms and dog bones swapped 02/2014.
- Tie arms swapped 03/2014.
- Rear door glass fixed as someone broke it 03/2014. Spare part has a register number etched (not mine).
- Front brake hoses replaced 04/2014.
- Radiator leak plugged 04/2014. Didn't help for long, radiator swapped 06/2017.
- Rear left door central locking not working (04/2017).
- Rear left door window lift doesn't work from time to time (07/2017).
- Driver door window lift dead (06/2017).
- Check control whines about rear parking light but it's not broken (05/2017).
Last change: 25th of August, 2022
Chocolate E32 by Kultasuklaa
Main page (In Finnish)